First off, I’d like to say I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and New Year and a fantastic break (If you got one). I’ve had a HUGE break from my blog and writing and well, anything really ha! But seriously, I’ll be honest, I returned to work after 9 months of maternity leave, however, I wasn’t feeling great in terms of my mental health and so I’ve had to take a little more time. I’m struggling (there, I said it) but I’m currently on antidepressants and have started Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I digress…
In the last week, I’ve taken a little time to look at myself. I’ve realised, things need to change. Yes, I am a mum and a full time employee and pretty much keeping the house together and myself and my child alive BUT, I haven’t even taken care of myself. I had a bubbly bath the other day and used a face mask, neither of which I have done in over 10 months (10 minute showers have been my best friend in what feels like forever ha!) I dress frumpy, a ‘mum’ look if you will. I have very few hobbies as I’m usually so exhausted and all I want to do when I’ve put bear to bed and washed his bottles etc, is climb into bed myself. I realised, all of this needs to change.
I’m not generally one for making New Year’s Resolutions as I’m really not very good at keeping them, let’s be honest…I vow to eat healthy/exercise etc, usually fails within the week and you’re sat there stuffing your face with a Dominos and watching a new series on Netflix, not that I have any objections to that at all (she says having consumed a whole dairy milk and having commenced series 3 of Gilmore Girls) but it’s about time I set some ‘goals’ to work towards, to try to improve etc, more to better my health and to do the best for bear but I thought I’d write them here so I can look back on them and make sure I’m reaching my intended achievements.
- I’m going to make time for more ‘me time’. Having a bath with a Lush bath bomb and doing a face mask the other day was just so lovely and I felt like a new woman afterwards. This is definitely something I want to keep up with and make sure I do more often. One night a week, I’m gonna make time to after Bear has gone to bed.
- I aim to get out more. I really need to get out, even if it’s just for a walk to the local ASDA or for a little drive to clear my head. A bit of fresh air and a change of scenery will do Bear and I some good for sure! I’m always making the excuse of not having much money to do anything but we need to go on more aimless walks definitely.
- I aim to write more. Even if I don’t get many views or much reach, I want to write more. Clear my head a little, focus on something else. I mean, yeah of course I would love it if people actually read what I want to say, but at the moment, my intentions are purely to do this for me.
- I’m going to start shopping smaller this year and buying from and supporting smaller, independent businesses. It’s something that I’m quite passionate about, that when you shop from an independent business, you are helping to support that person and their family. Also, I already have my eye on a few items from some small businesses that I’d like to buy and fill our house with haha!
- I’d like to have a proper clear out. Now obviously this would work better if Alex would also get rid of a lot of his ‘hoarded’ stuff but I need to clear out a lot of stuff just as much. There’s also the fact that Bear is just going to keep accumulating stuff, ridiculously huge toys and bags of clothes he still doesn’t quite fit into. Honestly, he is taking over everywhere ha!
I didn’t want to go to overboard with my aims and goals for this year. I’m hoping to stay very relaxed about how I get on with things from now. I’m constantly worrying and stressing about things and I just feel it’s about time I stop. I guess my ‘goal’ should have been to stop… everything haha! Stop the worrying, the stressing, getting worked up, getting worn out. But it’s time I look after me a bit more, I mean, if I don’t, Bear will see me as the very stressed, exhausted mummy I have been but it’s time we have fun and relax and enjoy life as much as we can.
What are your goals and aspirations for this year? Or even in general? I’d love to hear about them.